Thursday 26 September 2013

Textual Analysis - Inspiration/Conclusion



This is the short film that I annotated as part of my summer work. This is an abstract piece that is successful in making both the artist (Pontus Alv) and the video look stylish. Original pieces by Pontus Alv are shown throughout. What I will take from this video for mine is the abstract style in terms of cinematography, editing, mise-en-scene and especially sound. The voice of Pontus Alv is heard through what sounds like a phone call, with the automated voice at the beginning and end of his message. I think this looks and sounds effective as it makes the message seem a lot more real, as if it is actually the audience who the message is addressed to and who are actually in a phone call with the character. I will look into creating this effect from internet tutorials as it is not immediately obvious how to create this effect.



My main inspiration in terms of cinematography will come from a short film very similar to mine, in the fact that it features a Phillip Larkin poem read over the top. The film uses a montage edit with little variation from this and this is what I would like to change in so to gain more marks. The use of extreme long shots captures things like the boats along the river and the buildings of Hull in a way that encapsulates the beauty in the city that is seen by the film-maker Dave Lee and by the poet himself Phillip Larkin saw in Hull.



I enjoyed the style of editing in this music video and will therefore take inspiration in my film. Multiple times throughout the film, the dancers fast movements will be played at normal speed and will go slow-motion at certain intervals of the song. I felt this looked effective in emphasising the movement of the dancers and also the changing beat of the song.


No comments:

Post a Comment