Thursday 19 September 2013

Short Film Analysis - Dave Lee: Bridge for the Living - Philip Larkin



For my A2 Media Coursework I have chosen to do a Short Film with a documentary styling to it.

For my main inspiration was the short film, Bridge for the Living - Philip Larkin by writer and short film-maker from Hull.

In this short film - Dave Lee represents Phillip Larkin's famous descriptions and feelings about Hull through moving image and representation of the city in the way Larkin imagines it.

In terms of conventions, like documentaries, the films uses 'voice of God' commentary over the top of shots relating to the subjects and themes of the dialogue.  Like for example in 'Bridge For The Living' constantly, in an almost cliche kind of manner, what Philip Larkin is describing in his poem is seen on screen.

EXAMPLE:

'A working skyline wanders to the sea' 

In terms of Cinematography, this short films is based around the city of Hull as it is the subject of the poem. This means that the majority of shots are extreme long shots as this is the 'main character'. The camera is kept still while the setting changes like for example birds fly by. I liked this technique however I think in terms of logistics for attaining these shots it could become time consuming. I think I would also like the same shots but in an even more time-consuming effect with time-lapse shots, especially with things like busy cities with cars and clouds are the most effective time-lapse shots I've seen. 





No comments:

Post a Comment